Sunday, 14 February 2016

Love and Valentine: on Valentine

So I spoke to my teenagers today (as the spirit led) first about Valentine and then about love. I told them about the origin of the celebration and its progression to what we have now (you all should know that by now, but they didn't!). I went further to tell them about the types as popularly peddled and also written about but one of my all time favourite apologetic C.S Lewis. You know them: Agape, Phillos, Storge, and Eros.
Naturally, I began with the perfect prototype; Agape. I narrated to the sacrifice Agape was willing to take according to 1 Corinthians 13, and knowing that that relationship is based on little or no reciprocation from the recipients, yet keeps on giving. This is a losing love.
I briefly talked about Storge and Phillos both being strong but based heavily on relationships.
And then "ghen ghen" (Nigerian Movie sound track) came Eros, and the crowd went wild. But in my jovial but stern voice I calmed them down. Love based on the senses. As temporal as the essence that created them, this is the base and lowest form of love. It is not evil in itself as several acts of love were triggered by our base senses. Jesus for example "saw" people and was moved with compassion, so who am i not to see... However, dwelling on eros will never lead to a lasting union. I gave relevant examples that suited their sensibility and got an acknowledgement flush; you guys don't have to remember your secondary school crushes and crutches.
To end this talk, I contrasted between Agape and Eros to let them see why priority need to be set and why they need a refined mind to see beyond the temporal things that is typical of their age bracket and go for enduring over exciting. It was an awesome talk. Lets Gods word Impart (as it should #inspired)
1472592961
Let true Love flow...

No comments:

Post a Comment